A who's who of Club Competitions & Cups

Club Competitions

I have attempted to provide a little summary of each trophy played for at Buxton and High Peak Golf Club.

I am indebted to Mr John Armitt for the willingness and generosity he has shown in sharing his memories. This section has become far richer with these insights.

Some of the memories are very personal; this has been written to respect and preserve the achievements and contributions of these individuals.

Any errors or omissions will be corrected immediately. Additional information is always welcome.

Please contact me through the Club.

Jon White

 

 

Hartington   Cup

 

 

The Marquis of Hartington is the heir to the Dukedom of Devonshire.

 

The Marquis presented this Cup to the Club and it has been played for since 1920.

 

McKenna Cup

 

 

 

Mr Frank McKenna was a member of the Club for around 20 years. He worked in Buxton and was often seen smoking a large pipe.

 

Apparently he believed that smoking the pipe helped his golf.

 

Duke Cup and Rabbit prize

 

 

 

 

The Duke of Devonshire presented the original Cup to the Club in 1889, soon after its formation, becoming Club President in 1904.

 

There was a tradition that there would be a play-off between the previous winners every five years. The winner of the play-off would keep the Cup and the Duke would replace it (£25 in 1889).

 

In 1933, the Duke decided that this was an expense he could do without and so this tradition ended.

 

The Rabbit prize was for the most improved player of the year.

 

Edgar Scholes

 

 

 

 

Mr Edgar Scholes was a member from 1929 – 1949. He died young.

 

As per Edgar’s instructions, his parents donated £600 to the Club in his memory.

 

This generous donation enabled the Club to pay off the overdraft it had acquired due to the loss of members following WW2.

 

Henriques memorial

 

 

 

 

Mr George Henriques was a wealthy man as well as being an accomplished golfer. He was heavily involved with the English Golf Union and 7 times Derbyshire champion.

 

He was a challenging character with his own set of rules and values. For example, Harold Wooliscroft (Club Professional) had a phone call and came up to the Bar to tell Mr Henriques that he had a call. Having been advised that he lost £50K in the stock market crash of 1929. Mr Henriques main reaction was that the Pro should not be in the Bar so had him dismissed!

 

George Henriques second wife, Mrs Johnson, was involved in the wire industry business in Ambergate. A Listed Exhibitor at the British Industries Fair of 1937, “Johnsons” promoted "Crapo" Galvanized Fencing Wires, solid, stranded, barbed, woven ferrous and non-ferrous materials for transmission purposes. Also produced was wire for welding, rivet and chain making, for ropes and hawsers, and all industrial uses.

 

WWII Johnson’s supplied galvanised wire for the Pluto pipeline. This was laid across the English Channel and carried fuel for the Allied forces following the Normandy landings in 1944.

 

Johnsons merged with Thomas Firth and John Brown Ltd in 1973, to be known as Johnson and Firth Brown Ltd.

 

George Henriques son was in the British Expeditionary Force, under the Colours of the Sherwood Foresters. Near Oigines, France (Twin Town with Buxton) he was captured and shot. At the end of the war, Mr Henriques provided an allowance to the French woman who cared for his son’s body.

 

George Henriques died in Scotland.

 

Blair Putter

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J.S. Blair was Mr Captain in 1917.

 

He had a factory in Glasgow which made corsets. The whalebone was readily accessible in Scotland. However, the distribution was inefficient so he moved it down to Annecotes, Manchester.

 

The Blair Putter was first awarded in 1928.

 

Mr Blair still has family in Stockport. 

 

Joseph Nadin

 

 

 

 

 

Joe Nadin was an outstanding golfer.

 

Joe was a farmer at Mount Pilier farm (Laundry Yard).  From there he moved to Barms Farm, where there is now a golf driving range.

 

Joe’s son represented England in England vs Scotland competitions with Roy Mason, the England golf captain (who broke the Course record at Cavendish Golf Club).

 

David Holmes memorial

 

 

 

 

 

David was a successful businessman who was instrumental in establishing Gorsty Park Golf Club.

 

David developed property in Bakewell and Cressbrook.

 

His business was in the stone industry. He exported stone internationally, but had particular interests in Vancouver, Canada.

 

While this competition was a bi-annual between Gorsty Park (now closed) and BHPGC, it now is only held in Buxton.

 

It remains a popular competition. 

 

Clive Boulton Celebration Cup

 

  

 

Clive was a member of the Club for many years. He was an accomplished golfer and friend to all.

 

While Captain, he became gravely ill.

 

Clive is remembered with great affection by his family and friends.

 

Armitt Cup

 

 

 

This 36-hole competition is held to commemorate the memory of Mr Sidney Armitt. He was Men’s President in the Centenary Year and generously donated a Cup to the Club.

 

To follow is a photograph of the Duke of Devonshire presenting the Captain’s Prize to Sidney Armitt in 1965.

 

Joe Armitt Memorial

 

 

Mr J. Armitt (1909 – 1986) was one of the best golfers to come from the Club. He was an Artisan member until 1972.

 

Joe won many trophies across England. For some time, he was considered a professional due to being paid for caddying while a boy.  Many Aritisans were classified as professional for this reason.

 

However, in 1931, he was reinstated as an amateur and went on to represent the Artisans for many years.

 

 

Ben Nadin trophy

 

 

 

 

 

Mr B. Nadin was a great Artisan golfer. This trophy was presented by his son.

 

In WWII, the Course was partly maintained POWs (from Lismore Road and Temple Meads).

 

The German / Austrian POWs volunteered to help at the Club. They were particularly adept at mowing using a scythe.  

 

Some were paid in soap, which at the time, was rationed. They were not given fags, although they perhaps would have preferred fags to soap…

 

McKenzie Cup

 

 

 

The McKenzie involved with this Cup was not, as many people believe, the designer of the Cavendish Golf club course.

 

Further information on this prize is welcomed.

 

Joe Hambleton Cup

 

 

John (Joe) Hambleton’s wife’s parents gave long service to the Club as Bar Steward. At the outbreak of WW2, he took over the King’s Head, returning to the Club on cessation of hostilities.

 

His father worked in the Pro-shop during WW2.

 

Mann Trophy

 

 

 

 

Frank W. Mann was Club Secretary in the Club Jubilee Year (1937). Due to the financial pressures the Club was experiencing, he accepted the role of Honorary Secretary in 1938.

 

Frank worked for the Diplomatic Corps in India, winning the Calcutta Cup.

He died young in Buxton.

 

Harris Trophy

 

 

 

 

 

The inscription on the Cup reads “Presented by Mr and Mrs W C Harris in memory of their son Sydney who was member of this Golf Club from 1930 – 1956.”

 

Mr W. Harris was the landlord of The Sun Inn for some years, while Sidney had a shoe-shop in Spring Gardens.

 

Mr W Harris was an agent for Marstons brewery. He bought a house in Buxton from the Slater family and turned it into a pub: it is now the “19th Hole”. This was formerly known as Fern House and had been a school. The Licensee was Mr A. Slack, formerly landlord of the Horseshoe Inn, Fairfield. Mr Slack worked at Ferodo for 30 years and on his retirement moved back to Buxton from his home in Chapel-en-le-Frith.

 

Mrs Slack was a well-known singer; she is credited with thinking up the name for the pub.

 

Attached is a cutting from the Buxton Advertiser encouraging people to attend the formal opening of the “19th on Saturday 17th June 1950, opening at 11.30 a.m.

 

 

As the 19th hole opened, the licence needed to be transferred from a pub which then closed. “The Wheatsheaf”, Church Street, Buxton suffered this fate. The licensee, Mrs Sarah Farrow, was reported as having some difficulty consoling her regulars (some of over 50 years standing) who deplored the closure of this ancient inn, tucked away in one of Buxton’s most picturesque corners, close to St Anne’s Church.

 

The Buxton Advertiser recorded that Mrs Farrow remained at the house, planning to share it with a married daughter.

 

Bryden Cup

 

 

 

 

 

Mr W.R. Bryden was one of the Club Founders, who, in 1885, inspired local people to play golf on Fairfield Common. He instigated the first meeting of the Club at 41, Spring Gardens, on 8th June 1887, coinciding with Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.

 

They agreed entry to be set at 10/6d, with the same fee for annual membership.

 

Mr Bryden was elected as Honorary Secretary and Treasurer. He lived on Corbar Road.

 

He won the first Club competition with a gross 148 score.

 

Mr Bryden presented a Cup to the Club in 1901. It was a one-off competition and was won by James Armit

 

 

JW 26/01/17

Copyright © Buxton and High Peak Golf Club, 2011-2017. All Rights Reserved.

Website Design and VPS Cloud Hosting by Uxello.
Golf Club CMSWebsite System - Golf Club CMS
Switch to Desktop ViewSwitch to Mobile View