Poem notes: this poem ends with the following
“To the Committee and members of the Buxton and High Peak Golf Club with the humble respect of their obedient servant
G. Graham Stanham, Eltham Warren Golf Club, Eltham, Kent
Some reflections on this poem – questions too!
- I wonder what prompted Graham to write this – was he a regular writer of poetry?
There is no reference to him on the internet.
2. The date confirms that World War 1 was still progressing.
The Gazette link invites you to download the pdf – should open easily.
Was golf really a priority?
3. What brought him to Buxton?
Possibly he was a wounded soldier undertaking rehabilitation at the Devonshire Hospital?
4. The language of the poem suggests he was a keen golfer.
I wonder how he enjoyed golfing in the winter compared to his home club in Eltham Warren Golf Club, Kent?
5. I have contacted the secretary of Eltham Warren Golf Club for any information about this man.
I await a reply.
Jon White 21 October 2017