A Who's Who of Competitions (Ladies Section)

Club Competitions Ladies Section

 

This little history has been constructed with the invaluable assistance of Mrs Elizabeth Howe (Centenary Year Ladies Captain and winner of the Ladies’ section Scratch prize in 1976) without whose help these memories may have been lost.

I have included a brief commentary on some of the trophies, together with a photograph where possible. Those which have not been photographed can be added, as can further commentary.

Elizabeth and I welcome any additions or corrections.

 

 

Adelaide (Ada) Hallam Trophy 1977

 

 

 

 

 Ada Hallam was a keen golfer for many years, being elected President 1974 - 1976.

 

She was a kind and generous person and was a friend to all.

 

 

Coronation Foursomes

 

 

A competition established to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.

 

Storr Memorial Trophy 1977

 

 

 

Presented by Mrs Storr’s son and daughter.

 

 

 

Margaret Storr was a publican, having the licence for premises in Dove Holes and then The Devonshire Arms on Fairfield Common.

She was Secretary to the Ladies section for some years and a very hard-working member of the Club and Derbyshire County.

 

There are two trophies associated with Margaret Storr.

 

The Storr Trophy  1971

 

 

Flora Axford Trophy

 

 

 

 

Flora was an active golfer for many years.

 

Her husband (Arthur) established this Trophy to honour her memory.

 

 

Currie Cup

 

 

  

Margaret Dean 4BBB Shield 1986

 

 

 Margaret was a particular fan of the Mixed 4somes format.

 

Her husband (Peter) was a member of the Artisan Section.

 

The Trophy was presented jointly by Peter Dean and Cyril Ashmore.

 

 

Tarr Cup 1952

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J.B.Tarr was a good friend of Walter Howe, father of Elizabeth Howe.

 

It is believed that Walter and Mr Tarr were crown green bowls enthusiasts.

 

They often played golf with railway men after work. This is remarkable, as they were golfing by 06.00.

 

 

Jean Webster Cup 1981

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jean was an active member of B&HPGC for many years and is remembered as being particularly welcoming to new members.

 

She established a Monday night golf meeting, primarily for the new players to meet and learn from more experienced members.

 

She was one of a group of lady golfers who were at Grammar School together and remained friends for many years.

 

 

Johnson Knockout 1949

 

 

Presented by Mrs R.A.C. Johnson

 

Hargreaves Cup

 

 

 

 

  

This Cup was presented by the ever popular hardware shop in Spring Gardens. Cliff and his team have been great supporters of B&HPGC.

 

Locals and visitors are encouraged to support this amazing shop.

 

It has two dates (1929 and 1950) and is engraved with the name of Elizabeth.

 

Further information is welcomed....

 

 

The Winsor Needham Trophy (The Captain’s Prize) 1946

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs E Windsor Needham was the first President of the ladies section, serving until 1974. She was Captain in 1930 and in the war years 1941 - 1946. She made significant financial contributions to the ladies section at a time when money was tight. She is remembered for donating many handbags as prizes.

 

A fine golfer, she held the course record from 1935 – 1957, when Mrs P Dickie carded a 72 gross. She was a regular on the County and National golf circuits.

 

Mrs Windsor Needham won the Ladies section Scratch Prize each year from 1931 – 1939.

 

She became a Life Member in 1965.

 

 

 

Bill Norton Memorial Trophy

 

 

 

 

 

While it seems a bit of an anachronism to have the ladies section play for a gentleman’s memorial trophy, but Bill was very supportive and popular with the ladies’ section.

 

Age 10, he had begun work as a shepherd on Fairfield Common in 1914. Caddying for 9d (3 pence in today’s money) a round, he acquired an interest in golf and became greenkeeper for the Club. He was appointed Professional in 1939

 

During the war, Bill made the blackouts for the ladies room in the clubhouse.

 

Bill was a fine golfer, winning competitions in the Golf Greenkeepers Association, and the Derbyshire Alliance. He was a life member of the Manchester Alliance.

 

He was also a successful coach, supporting the success of three Derbyshire Champions – Katie Dickie, Adrian Ellis and Nick Rogers

 

While Bill retired in 1969 after a 55 year association with the Club, Ray (his son, who was President of the Artisan Section) and grandson Steve (currently Head Greenkeeper) are still very active club members.

 

 

Beynon Trophy 1971

 

 

 

 

 

Pronounced “Buy -none”, this trophy was presented to the Club by J.Herbert Beynon in memory of his wife Yvonne.

 

Herbert was a Fellow of the Royal Society (F.R.S.) and something of an inventor. Apparently he lit a bonfire (on what is now the main car park) with a taper launched on an ariel runway from a clubhouse window.

 

  

It is also important to acknowledge the contributions made to the ladies section B&HPGC.

 

Miss Alison Howe: held the course record in 1984 with a 71 gross score.

Also Derbyshire Ladies Champion in 1980, 1981 and 1986. Age 17 in 1980, Alison was believed to be the youngest to win this Championship.

Alison won the Ladies section Scratch Prize each year from 1980 – 1984.

She first played in the County team when 14 years old and continued for the next 10 years.

Mrs Shirley Hope: President in the Centenary Year, Shirley was Head Teacher at Queens Road Infants School. Her husband, Mr Strover was Head teacher at Kents Bank School and a regular tennis partner with John Barber’s father.

Mrs P Dickie: held the course from 1957 record with a 72 gross score. She was Derbyshire Ladies Champion in 1955.

She won the Ladies section Scratch Prize in 1950 and then each year from 1952 – 1959. She became a Life Member in 1971

Mr Walter Hambleton coached many lady golfers in the early days. He was apprenticed to Bill Lowe, Club Professional. He also helped the Bar Stewards and assisted at big events.

Walter helped Mr and Mrs Thorpe with a special dinner to mark the opening of the new clubhouse in 1922.

The Rosebowl Trophy: The Past Lady Captains play annually for a beautiful silver rose-bowl donated by Faith Beerers, the daughter of Mrs Linaker – a former member of the Ladies Section

Other Trophies, Cups and prized are displayed in the Ladies Trophy Cabinet, situated to the left of the Clubhouse Bar.

The Captain’s Prize  1949

 

The Captain’s Prize (1926), presented by Mr G.Q.Henriques.

Won by C.Thorpe and presented to the Ladies (1986) in his memory.

 

The Centenary Trophy (1887 – 1987)

 

The Challenge Cup presented by Mrs Byrd (1927)

 

The Mixed Foursomes Challenge Cup (1949)

Presented by L.O.Cope Esq

 

The J.C. Currie Cup (1952)

 

David Holmes Memorial Shield (2011).

Please refer to Men’s Competitions for further information.

 

The Fairway Cup (1931)

Presented by ACOS fertilizers.

 

  The Joe Armitt Salver (1986)

Inscribed “Keep thi ead down and shape thissen”

 

The Millenium Trophy

Presented by The Duke of Devonshire.

 

Mr President’s Cup (2013)

This was presented by Mr Don Mackay, a keen golfer and active Club member for a great many years.

 

The Rhind Medal Trophy (1954)

Presented by Mrs Rhind  (Lady Captain)

 

Scratch prize (1952)

Presented by Mrs J.Lawson

 

[Photographers note: there is a small bronze cylinder in many of these pictures. It is approximately 10 cm high and is there to give an idea of the size of the trophies.]

  

EH / JW Dec 2017

Copyright © Buxton and High Peak Golf Club, 2011-2018. All Rights Reserved.

Website Design and VPS Cloud Hosting by Uxello.
Golf Club CMSWebsite System - Golf Club CMS
Switch to Desktop ViewSwitch to Mobile View